Hi there! I’m Alyssa Murphy, author of Dog-Run House. A few months into owning my first home and embarking on (possibly too many) DIY projects, and after reading home blogs for years, I decided it was time to start my own. This is where I’ll document the story of my first home, which I share with my awesome husband, Chris, and our dog-basically-first-born, Mika (you can already tell I’m a crazy dog mom).
We bought our house in October 2015, and we’re slowly updating it to better fit our style. What began as honey oak trim and plain white walls is slowly evolving into a cozy, family-and-dog-friendly home.
What’s interesting about being a home-owning couple with a dog is that our dog basically calls the shots around our house, and it feels like half our decisions are made for us, and the other half are for our dog. Which is a little crazy, but in reality, this house needs to work for all three of us.
You’ll find a few things consistently here:
- DUH, references to my dog a lot. But, promise, she’s pretty cute.
- A semi-thorough documentation of our home updates and projects until I figure out how to actually stop in the middle of something to take a decent picture.
- My successes and failures – we only know what we’re doing about 20% of the time. But I’m going to share the wins and the losses, because I’m learning as much from both.
- References to The Office and Harry Potter, which I’m generally filling my free time watching over and over again.
- Stupid puns and jokes. Dry humor FTW!
- Me trying to figure out what new-age acronyms like FTW mean.
- iPhone shots until I can get my grubby hands on a nice camera.
It’s not always going to be pretty. It’s not always going to work out. But sometimes, I hope, I can give someone else the courage to take off all their kitchen cabinet doors and prop them up on boxes in their garage and paint them in the 90-degree heat so they can make jazz-hands at their kitchen. Or paint a wall without taping! Yeah, we really toe the line here in the Murphy house. 😉
Thanks for reading!